Adding Sales Data
In order to generate an accurate GST returns, you need to enter the sales data of your business in Octa GST. As per the availability and convenience, you may enter the data in the form of detailed documents or you may also enter the consolidated summary of sales.
Sales data consists of following documents and summary pertaining to the return period:
|Sales Invoices||Documents||Sales invoices issued to your customers|
|Credit Notes||Documents||Credit notes issued to your customers|
|Debit Notes||Documents||Debit notes issued to your customers|
|Advance Received||Documents||Details of advance received from customer for which supply is still pending.|
|Advance Adjusted||Documents||Details of advance which was received from the customer in an earlier return period and that advance has now been adjusted against the supply in current period.|
|Refund Vouchers||Documents||Details of advance refunded which was received from the customer in earlier return period.|
|B2C Sales Summary||Summary||State and GST rate wise summary of business to customer sales|
|Non-Taxable Sales Summary||Summary||Consolidated value of nil-rated, exempt and non-GST outward supplies|
|HSN Summary||Summary||HSN code or description wise summary of outward supplies|
|Documents Issued||Summary||Start and end number of document series issued during the return period|
# Entering Data using GUI
Octa GST provides a convenient GUI (graphical user interface) to enter the sales data. All the user inputs are validated for common errors so that incorrect data entries can be prevented.
This mode is useful when the sales documents are not being maintained in an electronic format. It is also useful when the number of sales documents are less and manual entry of data is feasible. We suggest this method for less than 300 invoices in a month.
To enter the sales data using GUI, open the Sales page and click the Add button. This will open a new screen on which sales invoice data can be entered. If you need to enter other documents, simply change the type of documents being displayed on the screen and click Add.
# Importing data from Excel/CSV files
If you are already maintaining the sales data in an electronic format, you can quickly import all your documents. Octa GST supports import of sales from Excel/CSV files in two formats.
- Octa Format: Useful to import the list of sales documents using which return can be automatically generated. This format is easier to produce and chances of error are less.
- GST Offline Tool Format: Most popular accounting and business software packages exports the data in this format. You can download this format from GST Portal.
# Octa Format
You can download the file format specification and sample files on Download page:
There are 4 sheets containing sales data (OctaSales.xlsx):
- Sales: To import all sales documents such as invoices, credit/debit notes, advances, refunds etc.
- SalesSummary: Consolidated summary of B2C (Business to consumer) and non-taxable sales in the return period. This needs to be reported only if same is not reported at document level in Sales (1).
- SalesHSN: HSN wise summary of sales during the return period. This needs to be reported only if HSN details are not provided at document level in Sales (1).
- DocIssued: Serial number details of documents issued during the return period.
Octa GST provides a user friendly import facility. Full import file is validated by Octa GST before importing so that your data is consistent and accurate. If any issue is detected in the contents of import file, Octa GST gives specific and useful error messages guiding you where & what exactly is wrong. You can correct the import file and then resume the import process.
Using the import facility, adding a large number of sales documents is a matter of seconds only. To use this method, simply click the Import button on Sales page and follow the on-screen instructions.
# GST Offline Tool Format
There are many accounting and business software packages which supports the data export in GST offline tool compatible format. Octa GST also supports this format and it can directly import such files.
To import the file in GST Offline Tool format, simply click the Import button on Sales page and follow the on-screen instructions.